The ACEARD Energy Users Cooperative Society was established as a Coop initiative to expand and provide energy access to the community in order to stimulate socio-economic, sustainable development and the use of clean and efficient energy in the communities.
The Coop. energy initiative is pursuit to United Nation’s vision and mandate of achieving universal access to affordable and sustainable energy, thus improving the quality of life and economic opportunities for unserved and underserved communities.
Under the ACEARD Energy Coop. arrangement, solar mini grids, solar home systems and solar street lights are deployed to communities and members through Cooperative model.
The following are the objectives of ACEARD Energy Coop. are:
- To promote community participation in renewable energy projects through training on ownership, operation, maintenance and safety of facility.
- Enable community members to learn about productive usage of energy as well as educate members on energy conservation and efficiency
- Ensure community members work together to protect energy equipment against theft and vandalization
- To partner with Electricity Distribution Companies and Independent Power Producers (IPPs) in their localities for the provision of electricity at an affordable price.
- Ensure prompt payment of energy bills by members through the cooperative society model
- Encourage all relevant stakeholders to work together to solve community electricity related problems